Monday, September 10, 2018

Summer Learning... I want all the things



Summertime...educators stand at the end of another school year, which in my case is always June 30, and look ahead at the weeks stretching in front them with hope and anticipation.
We think about all of the things we want to accomplish, both personally and professionally. If you're like me, the list likely consists of a combination of things like "clean out and organize my closet" to reading a growing list of the latest professional books, spending time with family, and just getting some R & R. 

In other words, we want to do what my friend Elizabeth's daughter calls "all the things" during our time away from school and our students as we recharge for a new school year. 
The problem for me is that my list usually far exceeds the time I have actually have available. 
I started the summer joining 6 professional book studies. Yes, I definitely overextended myself, but definitely with the best of intentions. 

Communicating daily with my #4ocfpln guided my learning this summer, through daily conversations equal to the best professional development sessions I've attended, along with A LOT of professional and personal reading, a blog challenge, and even a FitBit challenge. 

Last month, in the middle of August, I was fortunate to once again organize and host a 3-day summer institute in my district. The teachers who attend this conference are coming on their own time, during their summer hiatus. These are teachers who want to learn and refesh for the upcoming school year, and I am always warmed by their passion and enthusiasm for their learning. These teachers also want to do "all the things" during their summer, and are including their own professional development as part of that. 

Summer gives us a time to focus on what Jimmy Casas calls "life fit", while recharging and learning something new to implement during the new school year. As educators, we are fortunate to have this time. 

Did you attempt "all the things" this summer?

I certainly did, although I never did clean out my closet. 

My "Life Fit" this summer...

Family 💗

Professional Learning 😃









No comments:

Post a Comment